Past perfect continuous tense কাকে বলে?
অতীতকালে কোনো কাজ শুরু হয়ে কিছু সময় চলে আবার অতীতেই শেষ হয়েছিল এরূপ বুঝালে তাকে Past perfect continuous tense বলে। যদি অতীত কালের দুইটি কাজের কথা কথা উল্লেখ থাকে তাহলে যে কাজটি আগে থেকে চলছিল সেটির Past perfect continuous tense হবে এবং অন্যটি Past indefinite tenseবা Simple past tense হবে।
Structure: Subject + had been + মূল verb এর ing form + Extension (অন্যান্য অংশ)
Examples: positive sentences
- I had been waiting for 2 hours. (আমি ২ ঘন্টা যাবৎ অপেক্ষা করছিলাম।)
- They had been writing for 3 hours. (তারা ৩ ঘণ্টা যাবৎ লিখছিল।)
- It had been raining since Sunday. (রবিবার থেকে বৃষ্টি হচ্ছিল।)
- They had been reading before he came. (তিনি আসার আগে তারা পড়তেছিল।)
- She had been living in London since 2015. (তিনি ২০১৫ সাল থেকে লন্ডনে বসবাস করছিলেন।)
- Rahim had been reading this book for three weeks. (রহিম এই বইটি তিন সপ্তাহ যাবৎ পড়ছিল।)
- Monir had been gossiping in the coffee shop for two hours. (মনির দুই ঘণ্টা যাবৎ কফিশপে আড্ডা করছিল।)
- They had been playing football on that field for three hours. (তারা তিন ঘণ্টা যাবৎ সেই মাঠে ফুটবল খেলছিল।)
- We had been enjoying the show thoroughly for three hours. (আমরা তিন ঘণ্টা ধরে অনুষ্ঠানটি ভালোভাবে উপভোগ করছিলাম।)
- Rahima had been walking three miles a day before she broke her leg. (পা ভেঙে যাওয়ার আগে রহিমা দিনে তিন মাইল হাঁটছিল।)
Examples: Negative sentences
Structure: Subject + had not been + (1st form of verb + ing) + since/for + time.
- Kabir had not been living in Australia since 2010.
- Shakib had not been washing his clothes for five days.
- Jannat had not been doing her assignment since 10 o’clock.
- The patient had not been eating food since morning.
- Sonjoy had not been teaching the kids since Monday.
Past perfect continuous tense এর ব্যবহার:
১. অতীতে একটি কাজ বেশ কয়েকবার হয়েছিল বা ঘটেছিল এরূপ বুঝালে Past perfect continuous tense ব্যবহৃত হয়।
যেমন: She had been trying several times to do the sum.
২. অতীতকালের কোনো কাজ বা ঘটনা কিছুক্ষণ যাবৎ চলছিল এরূপ বুঝালে Past perfect continuous tense ব্যবহৃত হয়।
যেমন: Olivia had been saving every penny for months.
Examples of question sentences of Past Perfect Continuous Tense:
- Had I been buying?
- Had he been smoking since 2015?
- Had she been planting for three hours?
- Had he been going to school since Yesterday?
- Had we been wasting our time for seven days?
MCQ exercises of Past Perfect Continuous Tense:
- I was tried that night. I _____ wood all morning.
B) had been cutting
C) was cutting
D) had cut
Answer: B) had been cutting
- She _____ from flu when she was interviewed.
B) had suffered
C) had been suffering
D) has been suffering
Answer: C) had been suffering
- He_______ playing football for two hours.
B) had been
C) has been
Answer: B) had been
- The rain started after we ____ for about an hour.
A) have been playing
C) were playing
D) had been playing
Answer: D) had been playing
- The child ______ since morning.
A) has been study
B) was studying
C) had been studying
D) were studying
Answer: C) had been studying